A recent UK study stated that 60% of workers want access to a range of suitable flexible working options. An American study stated that 42% of professionals would accept another job offer for more flexibility. Are Canadians any different? We don’t think so. We KNOW that many professionals are looking for flexible work options…so why aren’t there more opportunities?
What does the data say?
The UK study cited organizational culture and management/leadership as the contributors:
- 73% of workers want a workplace culture where people are judged on the work they do rather than the hours they put in
- 70% of workers say managers need to truly support their team to achieve work/ life balance
Those statistics are significant. The same study also shared insight into the view of professionals who work flexibly and of those who want to work flexibly:
- Views of flexible workers
- 30% Feel they are regarded as having less status because they work flexibly
- 25% Feel they are given access to fewer opportunities
- 28% Feel disadvantaged because they are unable to attend work events outside working hours
- 25% Say they have missed out on promotion
- Views of people who want to work flexibly
- 39% believe that their job can’t be done flexibly
- 24% say their workplace culture is not supportive
- 17% feel unable to ask for flexible working because colleagues don’t work flexibly
- 17% believe that working flexibly would stop them from progressing
Work Evolution is Canada’s flexible work expert and we know that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. Organizations are complex. Humans are complicated. Values, attitudes and beliefs are intertwined. Culture can be hard to change. We are evolving the way that work gets done through our consulting services. Specifically, we work with our clients to:
- Learn about the organization’s culture
- Define opportunities for flexible work
- Develop and implement a customized flexible work program
- Educate, teach and coach the professionals and managers
- Evaluate the program’s success
Connect with us today to learn more.